Friday, March 8, 2013

invisible reflection

I can't seem to create what I have in my head. I think it is because I "feel" it more than "see" it. How can I draw what I cannot see? This blog's quilt comes from internal reflection. It's not inspired directly from a photo, or from an intriguing print on a fabric, or from something I've read or talked about. This is coming from feelings about events that happened in the last few years of my life. How do I get reference for that? Before I can figure out perspective and shape I have to envision the scene better.

I believe that some people see an exact picture in their mind's eye and they set out to create just what they see. Others, like me, have amorphous visions. In creating an artistic expression of my thoughts and feelings, I know whether I am representing truly what's going on in my mind, as it feels right or not, but I'm not making a physical copy of something I'm seeing in my head.

If this quilt idea is not tangible, and I can't "see" it well enough to sketch it out, what will I do?

2 comments:

  1. What I have learned to do is to write down words which are related to feelings and these words will evoke images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found that to be helpful, especially when I'm formulating an initial idea - thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I'd welcome your comments; type them in here: