Thursday, May 9, 2013

where to put the attention?

Whoa, I got ahead of myself. I forgot something. What, am I kidding - another step? Oh yeah, and there'll be a lot more before this is done!
Unusual perspective was what I had been first thinking about for this quilt. What did that mean? Bird's eye view, looking on from on high?

No, that separates me from the  reality of the scene - it's putting me on a different plane, like I'm not on the same footing as the characters, I'm in a different world.


How about up close then? Maybe. But here the attention is so focused on the front characters that all the rest becomes meaningless. Also, in the right photo, the one solitary figure, who has a lot of symbolism, is right between the front two figures, and that interrupts the dialog of the two.



Just by changing the location of the camera, I can capture a different view of the scene. I've shifted over to the right and a little higher. The solitary figure is isolated now, and that is better. But I think I want to emphasize him more. And, if you look at last post, you'll see that I've brought him right up front.

My plan is that all the figures are relating to each other in some way, they are all connected. Two look at a book, two are at a grave, maybe planting flowers, and a few are seated together, maybe telling stories. The groups will be touching in some way visually, the hat overlapping the grave behind, the grave overlapping the figure behind. Yet, one figure is alone. He is quiet, introspective? He is the only one staring straight ahead, connecting with the viewer. What is his story?

I'll get to that, next post. See you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd welcome your comments; type them in here: