Saturday, February 16, 2013

So, what's the problem?

I had hoped that I could grab some images, collage them together, and - Voila! - it would look great. No such luck. The photocomposition confirms how complicated my idea is, yet at the same time, is "proof of concept." The idea has gone from loose ideas in my mind to something definite I can see on paper. It's a good starting point. The photo presents too many insignificant details that interfere with really "seeing" what is going on in the overall scheme.

My eye does not know where to look. There is no clear focal point, nothing that grabs your attention and draws you in. A good composition has a flow to it, guiding your eye around - but this has no order to it.
something recognizable helps to show 
where you are looking from 

As the photos were taken from different angles, the perspective is not consistant. In the photoshopped image from my Monday 2/11 post, I am looking from above at the two figures in the foreground, yet I seem to be looking at the eye level of the seated man behind them. In any picture, for realism to work, there can only be one eye level.

The entire background is not clear - what is the size of everything? Is it close or far away? The flags do not add any information, they are just adding to visual confusion. If they went from large flags in the foreground to small ones in the distance, it would help define the amount of distance I'm trying to describe. It is understood that each flag is the same size, so if some are very tiny, they must be far away.

I wanted to have groups of people in this quilt, but there is no room for them. Already there is too much going on.

I need to simplify and better define my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd welcome your comments; type them in here: