Monday, February 11, 2013

Stretching the truth

With Photoshop Elements, all of my images can be put on layers that can be handled independently. I can remove backgrounds, re-size, change location, or manipulate their appearance in any number of ways. Usually, I start by removing everything from a photo that I know I don't want. Then I might separate the photo into separate parts. Below are two versions having different layers visible. 
In this version, I 've enlarged the background structure and brought it a little bit forward. I've put some bank safe doors into the structures to see how that looks, along with the row of safes. I'm pleased with how the forms of these structures relate to each other.
Now in this version, I added a transparent layer of the man. Maybe he is a ghost? Could I make that happen with fabric? Possibly, but I wouldn't want to use a technique that would call undo attention to one area. Have to keep this in mind. I put in a bigger safe behind the man, trying it out as a monument. I can eliminate this, just doesn't make any sense. 

I want to have everything look as if it belongs where it is. Believable realism relies on how humans typically perceive their world. We expect a certain consistency. For example, if you are looking at a scene from above, you can't put in an item that shows it being seen from below - it just wouldn't make sense. If a scene occurs during a dull cloudy day, it wouldn't make sense to have a gleaming highlight or intense shadow. If something doesn't look right, it will ruin the atmosphere. The truth can be stretched, but only so far. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd welcome your comments; type them in here: