Friday, April 5, 2013

Serenading skeletons sing out to Sue


Sue with the Serenading Skeletons
Oaxaca, Mexico is an area where Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) is celebrated. It occurs in late October as does Halloween here in the States, but it is a very different event. It is a time for remembering those who have left life before us. Over a period of a few days, individuals and families come together for a multitude of festivities. Parades, shows, picnics and candle lit vigils occur in the towns and surrounding areas, with many of the activities in the cemetery grounds, all accompanied by huge amounts of decorations and flowers.

Flower Merchants
Oaxaca, Mexico
photo by Susan Polansky, 2008
Chalk and Flower Street Painting
Oaxaca, Mexico
photo by Susan Polansky, 2008


















You've probably seen dancing skeletons, or the shadow boxes of skeletons performing typical daily activities, or some other brightly colored portrayal of "happy" skeletons. They are there to remind people that death is a part of life, it is a fact of our human condition. So, get used to it, don't be scared - try to have some fun with it. And while you're at it, remember those who you've loved and lived with, and who now can not be with you. Instead of the somber, quite deserted landscape of monuments that I am used to, I saw a riot of color and activity at the cemeteries during these days. And the most astonishing thing was the number of people either wandering or gathered around, all there to actively honor memories of those important to them. It was so striking, and at the same time, so beautiful, to see gatherings of people talking, joking, crying, decorating, eating and drinking - all done to celebrate the lives of others. It was incredibly moving.
Untitled
Oaxaca, Mexico
photo by Hari Polansky, 2008

My husband, son and I visited Oaxaca in November, 2008. It's a beautiful and interesting place on it's own, with a concentration of artistic and craft producing communities, friendly people, fascinating history and architecture - I could go on about all the touristic merits. We specifically timed our visit to coincide with El Dia de los Muertos. It's odd how life works sometimes. There's many things we experience that help to prepare us for our next steps without us even knowing it. The following year I would plunge into an extremely dark period - where I lost an incredible number of loved ones. Brother, Father, Father in Law, 2 Brother in Laws, 2 uncles, friends - eleven people in two years. How hard that was! Through it all, I would occasionally think of what I had recently seen in Mexico. I wanted a way to remember and celebrate those lives with exuberance. I wanted to express my thankfulness that my life had been touched by them and was made greater by their presence. The germ of the idea for this piece that I work on now had been sown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd welcome your comments; type them in here: