Friday, April 26, 2013

While they sit around waiting


The remembrance project, the name I'm beginning to think of for the quilt this blog is about, has been delayed. Not at a complete standstill, as these photos will attest. I've set up the drawing table and covered it with fabric. I've started setting up the pieces. And I've made strings of flags out of little rectangles of paper towels and string. I've also found a tripod and gotten my camera set up ready. 

Making strings of flags while
 the characters sit around waiting
Meanwhile, I've been busily working on gathering all my information together for a new website. I want to put my blog and gallery together, so only one address is needed. When I go to Athens, Ohio towards the end of May, I want to have my new site up and running. I'll be attending the opening of Quilt National 2013, where my latest work, "No One but You" has been selected to be in. This show is a big deal for art quilters, some liken it to the Holy Grail of the contemporary quilting world.

Quilt National is a biennial international juried exhibition of contemporary innovative quilts. The first Quilt National was shown in 1979. The eighteenth in the series of international juried competitions dedicated to promoting the contemporary quilt by serving as a showcase for NEW work (completed after September 1, 2010). The jurors will select works that represent unique approaches to the medium and demonstrate the breadth and diversity of contemporary expressions.

It's a tough show to get into - they even give an award for the person who has entered the most times before being accepted. There is usually a predominance of abstract work, and as my piece is a work of realism, I think it will really stand out.

I'll get a lot of exposure from the show, and that in itself warranted a sprucing up of my website. Although I like the site I have now (www.susanpolansky.com), the functionality of it is a bit antiquated.
I'm aiming for a bit more sophistication in this next go 'round. There have been many changes in the technical end of things, so I'm hoping for a better content managing system, so uploading new work will be easier. See, I'm planning for an artistically productive future!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd welcome your comments; type them in here: