Wednesday, April 17, 2013

yeah, I've got nothing...

I met with my critique group today. We are art quilters and call our group "New Wrinkle." The six of us have been meeting once a month (more or less) for many years. We each have different styles, but we are comfortable with each other enough to comment and critique each other's work. Occasionally we have put up group shows, like the one we recently did at the Audubon Broadmoor Wildlife Center in Natick, MA.
Today the others had work to show - finished quilts, work in progress, or ideas being stitched together. But I had nothing. At least, that's what it felt like. I didn't have anything in hand, but I talked about my idea. I had already shown the clay figures and set up that I had put together, so there was nothing new to bring to the table.
Yet did that mean I really had nothing? I've been busy with the development of my idea. Many times with creating art, there is nothing to show for all the obsession that goes on behind the scenes. The infinite amount of fidgeting with small changes can be a crucial to the outcome, but hardly noticeable on a daily basis. And add on to that the delays that life imposes; well, it does seem like nothing has been accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd welcome your comments; type them in here: